It´s warm outside and all those fruits and salads are nourishing and fine but in the evening hours you are craving somehow, something grounding and warm?
My Vata Dosha is actually aggrevated a bit as well, on hot days delicious salads and more raw foods than usual are making me feel really good. But a warm dish in the evening which is easy to digest (and even easier to prepare) gives me that grounded feeling I need! (And let me sleep way better)!
Why is it a summer Dal recipe?
I used yellow lentils (which are easier to digest) and ingredients that are growing now in my garden and are also in season. You will see that the balance of herbs and veggies in this recipe are fitting perfectly into summer and you will also feel – how good it is for the hot season!
Dosha specific informations about ingredients, will also follow after the instructions! This recipe is Tri-Doshic but when you struggle with balance, you will find some useful tips how to adjust the meal for your specific needs!
Here is my delicious easy peasy vegan summer Dal recipe:
- 2 cups yellow lentils, soaked in water overnight
- 4 cups water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- fresh cilantro and parsley
- Gomasio (optional)
- Wash the soaked lentils and prepare a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring it to boil and cook the lentils until close to soft.
- In the meanwhile, chop the garlic, onions and zucchini and wash and prepare the fresh spinach leaves. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a medium sized pan and start with the onions, add the garlic when the onions begin to glaze.
- Add the other spices until you have a nice paste before you add the zucchini. Stir well on medium heat until everything is coated evenly. Drop some water in if needed – but stay low with the fat!
- Add coconut milk to your lentils and stir in the spice – veggie mix from your pan. Let simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Chop the cilantro and parsley.
- Serve Dal with basmati rice, flatbread or quinoa! Top with cilantro and parsley and Gomasio.
- Enjoy! 😊
Easy peasy Ayurvedic Dosha hacks:
Vata: If Vata is aggrevated a lot and you don´t feel heat at all, use sesame oil and add some cinamon into your spice mix or use Vata Churna (which I also do a lot)!
Pitta: You could eat the Dal with a fresh salad instead of rice and stay away from the spinach if you feel super hot – you could simply replace it with carrots.
Kapha: You can make this dish without coconut oil and glaze your veggies in a non stick pan by simply adding water after roasting it on medium heat and add water, in small amounts to it. You could also make it like a soup and stay away from the carbs like rice or bread!
So I hope you will like my vegan summer Dal! I will also have a big potion of it this evening – by the way, adding less salt into your dishes and adding more fresh herbs and spices can help you to lose weight if wanted or needed. I like to top with Gomasio which is a mix of sesame seeds and high quality salt for the extra taste!
Have a beautiful week ahead! If you liked this recipe, leave some love in my comment section below! And tag us on Instagram with your creations! We would love to repost that!
One thought on “Easy peasy vegan summer Dal recipe”
Yummy and so easy to make! We will be trying this week!
LikeLiked by 1 person